Tuesday, January 11, 2011

SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, CHIAPAS, MEXICO (CONINUED)

PART II: THE BOOKED B&B




When the cab pulled up to the B&B, it was a much welcomed sight. Unfortunately, those sentiments were short-lived. I entered the gate into a small, uninviting courtyard that had three plastic tables with umbrellas and plastic chairs. I went to what appeared to be a reception area and spoke with the owner, advising him that I had a reservation and gave him a quick recap on what had happened to my travel companion. I was then advised that my room would be ready shortly and to have a seat. I took a much needed rest in one of the plastic chairs.

In a few minutes, I was advised that my room was now ready, and to follow one of the help upstairs. Upstairs?? I told the owner that we booked and pre-paid for a room specifically requesting the first floor due to both of our medical problems and inability to continually climb up and down stairs. I also informed him that our reservation and pre-payment was contingent upon receiving a first floor accommodation which he had agreed to and guaranteed. He paused, went to his computer and said yes, that was correct. However, the two girls that were occupying the room we had reserved weren’t feeling well and decided to stay longer! I said I wasn’t feeling well either and paid for the room in advance. I was sorry they were ill, but I certainly wasn’t any better off than they were!

After more words, he asked me if I would reconsider and I flatly refused. He then said that he would move the girls to the upstairs room and I could then have the room we originally booked and paid for. The catch was, I would have to wait for them to move and for the hired help to clean the room. I had no alternative but to agree. The wait began and I continued to feel worse and worse as time went on. I returned to my plastic chair.

At this point, I must interject that both my travel companion and I viewed this place on line and together we decided it would be a suitable place to stay for a few nights if not for the entire 16 days we would be there. Between us, we must have looked at 50 different options for accommodations and we weren’t too concerned about finding another place if we didn’t like the one we had chosen. Neither of us was looking for accommodations from the Hyatt or the Ritz Carlton. Our only considerations were "clean" with a "private bathroom", not shared.

When I was told that the room was ready, I felt much relief knowing that soon I could just go to bed even though it was only around noon. Two young girls grabbed my luggage and motioned for me to follow them. I was somewhat surprised to learn that my room was a half block down the street! We entered through a metal garage door where the owner’s car was parked. It was actually a long, covered garage! There were 4 or 5 rooms on the left and a wall on the right, making for a long, dark, damp, cold, sunless corridor. My room was the third on the left.

My first impression upon entering was Oh My God! The room paralleled the garage/corridor! It was also damp, dark, dingy, dusty, dirty, old, cold, and very uninviting. It didn't even have a plastic chair! There was a single light bulb hanging from its cord in the middle of the room with a makeshift shade and one light bulb, wall mounted, in the bathroom. There was no way any direct sunlight could enter that room because of how it was situated in the long, covered corridor. There was no closet, no television, no radio, nothing! Only a double and a single bed occupied the room with a small writing table between the two. The bathroom was 3 feet by 6 feet and included a shower, wall mounted sink, and a toilet with a broken toilet seat. The toilet was so close to the wall, only a small child could mount it properly. Anyone else would have to sit slightly side saddle! I noticed that the bathroom and the floor was absolutely filthy and immediately returned to the main area and advised the owner that it wasn’t properly cleaned and there were large hairs all over the floor and the floor was so dirty that you could actually see the dirt on the floor! Not a problem I was advised, they would take care of it. Give them time to clean it again. Great, I thought, more waiting. Back I went to my favorite plastic chair in the courtyard.

About an hour later, the room was reported to be ready. By this time, I actually didn’t care what it looked like. I knew I had to lie down or fall down – no other option.

I got back to the room and it didn’t look much different to me, but at this point, I honestly, just did not care. I was totally exhausted. I pulled the covers back and inspected the sheets carefully. They were worn thin and wrinkled, but had the appearance of “clean”. I broke out my can of trusty Lysol (never leave home without it) and gave everything I could see or reach a good spray. Then, I slipped between the sheets, covered myself with two recently Lysoled blankets and fell fast asleep, head pounding, very weak and debilitated.

Ahh, but there is more! Stay tuned for Part III: Moving out of the booked B&B.

3 comments:

  1. I think you must have a Victorian novel in you -- pushing its way out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I was looking forward to photos of your deluxe accommodations at El Gite del Sol!!!! Have you made any comments on sites like Travelocity etc yet? I would! Lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. All aboard the Schadenfreude Express!

    ReplyDelete