Saturday, January 8, 2011

DIVERSION EXCURSION: SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS, CHIAPAS, MEXICO (DECEMBER 21 THROUGH JANUARY 6)

PART ONE – GETTING THERE.

My friend Lynn O. and I managed some advanced planning of the trip to include booking and paying for a B&B on line for our arrival. We booked for two nights only with the intent of staying longer if the location and accommodations were satisfactory. If not to our liking, we would just search the streets for another locale. Having been to San Cristobal on three previous occasions, I knew there were lots of places one could stay.

We purchased our bus tickets for the 14 hour trip well in advance and got the seats we desired. I even used my INAPAM card and got 50% off the round trip fare! What a deal!! The Mexican Government will issue senior citizens a card that allows for a 50% discount on bus fares in addition to other various discounts from participating local merchants. (Ahhh, the benefits of old age!) It reminded me of being at a restaurant in Florida and getting s senior's discount on an early bird special!

The bus was scheduled to leave on Dec 21 at 6:20 PM. On the morning of the 21st, I had a light breakfast at my favorite restaurant and packed four ham and cheese sandwiches for our journey. I did not eat anything else before getting on the bus, and was not feeling too well by late afternoon. To make a long story short, it was downhill from there. I had lots of aches and pains, headache, flushing feeling, and lower abdominal cramping. I had no other gastrointestinal symptoms, so it wasn’t the food I ate. I chalked it off to the excitement of the trip.

With each passing street sign and mile marker, I began to feel worse. I couldn’t eat or drink anything and my head was just pounding and my stomach was roaring. I felt just horrible, but there was no turning around. My travel companion, Lynn, was fine and gave me plenty of encouragement and sympathy. It helped, but definitely not a cure.

At a scheduled stop in Escarcega, Lynn reached in the overhead for her travel bag only to discover that someone had stolen her wallet, all her money, passport, credit cards, tickets, luggage checks, and medications. We desperately searched hoping it all had fallen out of the bag or she had misplaced it. Not the case. It was gone. Needless to say, Lynn was devastated and I was, too. We continued on to our next scheduled stop, Palenque, and Lynn decided she had to get off the bus and return to Merida. She couldn’t continue without identification, money, or most importantly, her medications.

I lent her sufficient funds to purchase a ticket from Palenque to Merida and buy some replacement medications from the local pharmacy, and enough to get some food and drink if she needed. The specific medication she needed is not available in Mexico but thankfully, she had a supply of it at the house in Merida. I gave her the sandwiches and drinks I had packed and I continued on to San Cristobal and she returned to Merida. I was hoping she would later join me in San Cristobal, but she just wasn’t up for the trip again. Who could blame her after all that?

I continued to feel worse and worse and arrived in San Cristobal quite under the weather. I was worried about Lynn, slightly anxious about being alone, wondering about the B&B we booked, and just basically how all this would work its way out. It was a trying time to say the least.

I had two check-in bags and a small carry on. When I got to San Cristobal, I had to claim my check-in bags. What a complete hassle. The baggage claim checks were stolen out of Lynn’s bag, along with the return tickets! I eventually convinced the baggage handler that I was who I presented to be and gave him plenty of identification. He rather reluctantly gave me my bags. Of course, I had to wait until everyone else had claimed their bags. Continuing to feel worse and extremely weak, I searched for a porter. There were none to be had! They don’t use them at bus stations. You just schlep your bags as best you can.

I struggled with the luggage and managed to get it out of the station and to the cab stand. By now, I must have looked like death warmed over because the cabbie took pity on me and loaded my bags in the cab for me. I told him where I needed to go, and he gave me a blank look. He never heard of the place we had booked. I had to shuffle through my papers and came up with the address. He finally delivered me to my destination and I was relieved to be at the B&B!

This story is to be continued, believe me! Stay tuned for Part II – The booked B&B.

8 comments:

  1. sounds like the trip from hell. i do hope things improved! also, i hope your friend will keep her passport, when she gets a new one, on her body from now on. we have a little pouch we keep ours in. a relative of ours just lost his plus a credit card while visiting his brother. he couldn't remember where he put it and couldn't get back home to canada. he went to the consulate the next day and was given a paper with which he could travel one time.

    can't wait for your next installment.

    happy new year!

    teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect I had the same ailment -- just about the same time you did. And I am just getting over its remnants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, welcome back to normalcy. Happy New Year, what a way to welcome it. Looking forward to part II Bg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still surprised you went on feeling as lousy as you did on the bus. But I've been there...ready to get out of town and just BE soemwhere else. You must admit, every vacation in Mexico is a misnomer....they are all ADVENTURES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mike it won't let me comment as myself no matter what i do. that was from me, and not meant to be "anonymous"....lin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike, what a small world, Lynn was stayed our merida house couple years ago & we went to Seattle for sightseeing , Lynn was so kind to be our tour guide & she sent us email about her terrible story this year. How did y meet her? She is such a kind person & good lady. We need to meet each other, tell her suk & Walter , is she ok I hope. Happy new year. Take care, suk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa - It started out as the trip from hell, but wound up being a great time. And yes, I'm sure Lynn has learned a valuable lesson about traveling with her valuables and important papers.

    Steve - Hope you're feeling better! I'm fine now. Wonder what we had??

    bgcokeonut - Thanks! Part II coming up!

    Anon/Lin - I think "Blogger Villain" is responsible for you and others that tell me they can't leave a comment. What to do??

    Suk - Lynn is renting from a friend of mine and that is how I met her. And yes, she is a wonderful person. She is doing just fine and I will pass your greetings to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tx, mike, I am so glad she is doing ok. Walter is back to Houston today. Tell her I miss Merida our home so bad. Take care.

    ReplyDelete