Tuesday, February 3, 2009

¡Picasso en Merida!

Pablo Ruiz Picasso, the father of “cubism”, was born in Malaga, Spain on October 25, 1881. He had a long and fruitful life, passing away on April 8, 1973, in Mougins, France. His legacy will undoubtedly survive the ravishes of time in the form of his highly acclaimed cubist sketches and paintings.

Here in Merida, we are fortunate to have several fine art galleries and museums. One of those museums, the Olimpio, managed to book the traveling exhibition from the Picasso Museum in Malaga, Spain, which included some 66 Picasso sketches and paintings for exhibition.

I have been fortunate to see many great works of art, but never a Picasso! Admission was free, so off I went. There were strict security measures to enter the exhibit, which was anticipated. Several police stood guard with AK 47’s, and various other weapons should the need arise!

The exhibit was presented well, but unfortunately, I thought the lighting could have been much better. Lots of folks were squinting to see the sketches and read the write-ups about them. I didn’t bring my glasses, so I was pretty much at a loss!

After viewing the exhibit, I came to the conclusion that I am not a fan of cubism (even if I were able to read the write-ups)! However, I was fortunate to see this Master’s work, but can think of several other artists I would much prefer to view.

It was “OK”, and I’m really glad it was free!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Mikey. I am the curator of this exhibition, Mario Virgilio Montañez, from the Picasso Foundation & Birth House at Malaga (Spain). The poor lighting is because the paper is the most fragile material for exhibition purposes. So, the light must be into a range from 50 to 100 lux. That's the reason. Congratulations for your blog. As you are, I am too a lover of this magical city.

    ReplyDelete