Friday, January 30, 2009

Diversion Excursion: Cenote San Ignacio, Yucatan, Mexico

The dictionaries tell us that a “cenote” (say-no-tay) is a water-filled sinkhole of the Yucatan, Mexico, typically containing groundwater. Not a very romantic definition by any means. They further explain that the word cenote is derived from the Mayan word "dzonot". Definitely no romance in that historical fact! But trust me when I tell you that the dictionaries fail to capture the charm, romance, and mystique of a cenote in their very bland, flat definitions and descriptions.

At Cenote San Ignacio, just 35 kilometers southwest of Merida in the small pueblo of Chochola, you will find a wonderful little cenote and gruta (cave) just beckoning for you to enjoy. The park-like grounds are small and well kept, and the locals are friendly and accommodating. There is a large palapa (thatched roof shelter) you can sit under and enjoy your favorite beverage as time rambles on. Although we didn’t eat there, the food looked delicious and very inviting! There are several smaller palapas you can use to idle away the hours as you ponder the splendor of this unusual little piece of paradise. An added bonus to my visit was the mascot on premises! A fuzzy white rabbit, very tame and docile, will come right up to you and he will let you hold him or you can just pet him. He enjoys it all!

You must walk down some very steep stairs to gain access to the gruta and the cenote, but the handrails come in very “handy”and the journey down is more than worth the trouble! As you enter the gruta, the first thing you notice is a tremendous change in temperature. The day I was there, it was a bit cool outside, overcast, and a few showers, making for somewhat of a "blah" day. On entering the gruta, the blah day became a distant memory. It seemed like I was walking into a sauna that hadn’t quite heated up all the way just yet! And then - the splendor of it all. The cenote itself. The inviting water was absolutely crystal clear and you could easily see even the smallest pebble on the bottom. The cavern was well lit and the music was typically a bit loud, but “danceable”! I knew that I just had to swim in that beautiful, crystal clear water and I did! I stayed in the water for about an hour and a half taking in the mystical splendor of my underground surroundings. I marveled at the limestone rock formations, the fresh, clean, clear water, and the very impressive ambiance of it all! Mother Nature at her best!

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this little day trip. In fact, I can’t wait to go back for a repeat diversion excursion! (And a swim, an ice cold Mexican beer, and some authentic Yucatecan food!) I'm not sure it gets any better than that, but I'll continue to search.


Inviting surroundings abound. (What a way to pass a day!)

The waiter and the "wabbit"



The steps are steep, the handrails handy! But wow, look what you find at the bottom:


A true work of art. Thanks Mother Nature!


Merida Mikey enjoying Mother Nature's gift. The water was so clear, so clean, and so very, very refreshing. I really didn't want to get out, but when I noticed my hands looked about 100 years older than the rest of my body, all wrinkled and crinkled, I thought it was time!


Time to dry off and head up to the main palapa for a cold one.
Life is good here in Merida, Mexico.


6 comments:

  1. Great find! Another well written, informative piece, Mike. The photos are excellent. I see you got your format adjusted! Impressive. Call us next time you are in the mood to go and we will join you. Mike, I am going to link your blog to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous cenote. Its definitely a great one to initiate some first timers in. It looks lovely with the palapa restaurant and kept grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that place it belonges to my brother inlaw's family and even oscar de la holla has gone to visit in the late 90s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your thorough, helpful and concise entry on the San Jose Cenote. My husband and I went today to cool off from the June heat and were grateful for your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Anonymous,

    You are most welcome!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the cenote. It is truly a well-kept secret and definitely worth another visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike- is there a cost to enter this beautiful paradise? New to Merida and ready to see some cenotes....

    ReplyDelete