Thursday, April 22, 2010

DIVERSION EXCURSION: FLORIDA REVISITED



Well, I can’t actually qualify my last visit to Florida as a true “Diversion Excursion”, but I can say it was definitely a change of scenery for me, but not much more than that!

I had to return to Florida to check on my condo and catch up with my mail. Having been gone so long, it takes me a full day to sort through the tons of useless advertisements the US Post Office insists on delivering. I’ve checked several times and there is no way to stop the endless flow of junk mail. The Post Office gets paid to deliver it, and they earn their pay. I’ve even registered with some on-line sites to decrease the flow of junk that enters my mail box, but I’m not sure it has helped one bit. I like the Mexican way much better. You’re handed a flyer at an intersection or it is left tucked into a crevice on your door or some other convenient location. And there is about 95% less junk mail here than in the States. The Mexicans have figured out that it costs lots money to print junk mail!

I also had some business to attend to such as filing my income taxes, paying insurances, maintenance on the truck I have to keep there for my personal transportation, and a myriad of doctor’s appointments. I also got a good supply of medications that I brought back with me.

While there, the damn oak trees were in full bloom and I am allergic to them! Needless to say, I suffered with allergies my entire stay. At one point, it was so bad that the pollen actually turned my little red truck yellow! I didn’t have my camera with me to take a picture, but I did have to wash the pollen off the windshield with a hose before I could drive it!

I did get to visit a few nice restaurants and have some great Chinese food, and some typical All-American comfort foods at my favorite “mom and pop” diner. That was about the highlight of my entire trip.

Now that I’m back “home” here in Merida, I can relax again and enjoy the benefits of living in this great city. I do not miss Florida, but I always miss Merida. I guess I’ve found the place I need to be.

4 comments:

  1. Have you thought about selling the condo? I was going to list my house in Salem on this trip north, but it looks as if the housing market is heading toward another dip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why did you go to doctors and get medications in Florida if doctoring/medication is less expensive in Mexico? Just wondering. We haven't moved south yet, but have purchased a casa in northern Veracruz for future retirement. I know what you mean about the pollen on the cars. We saw it here in the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    Good question - I get all my medications and free health care through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)because of service incurred disabilities. However, you are 100% correct when you say that meds and doctors are much less expensive in Mexico when compared to the US. This I can attest to through first-hand knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mikey! It's been a while since we've talked and I can also say I miss Merida, it is a great town but made even better by the lovely people that live there.... We also had all that yellow pollen here, by the truckloads, and my husband and son are allergic to it so they stayed indoors and turned on the AC. Seems allergies are at an all time high all over the place.
    Hope your temps there don't go crazy along with the humidity and you're able to weather the season fine. Hoping you are feeling better too.
    Sending you warm regards.... Belina

    ReplyDelete