Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mystical Mayan Medical Miracle (?)

I am a producer. Not of stage or screen, but of kidney stones. Admittedly, I know nothing about “birfing babies”, but I know lots about passing kidney stones. For the past 20+ years, I have been plagued with these damn things. I take medication (Allopurinol, 300 mg) each and every day to inhibit the production of stones. While it just doesn’t always work, I’m sure it helps. I normally pass about 3 – 5 stones per year. Multiply that times 20+ years and you’ve got enough stones to build a wall or pave a highway! (slight exaggeration!)

A FEW BAD MEMORIES:


Recently, while doctoring for pneumonia, bronchitis, gastritis, esophagitis, hiatal hernia, and uncontrollable reflux, the doctor asked me if I had anything else going on as if all that weren’t enough. At that time, I knew I had a large stone passing out of my right kidney as the pain was excruciating! After 20 years or so, you know when the stone is just a “stone’s throw away”! I mentioned the horrible pain I was in and the doctor advised me to go to a homeopathic pharmacy and purchase a product called Yumel. It is supposedly an old Mayan remedy for the malady of which I suffer.

Because I have so much faith and confidence in my doctor, I followed his orders. I went to the pharmacy he recommended and purchased two bottles. I actually forget the price, but it was very, very reasonable. I followed the simple directions, and within a few days the pain eased and I no longer could identify the stone. Normally, I can tell exactly where the stone is at any given time, but this miracle medicine actually dissolved the stone, just as the doctor told me it would. I now have no pain, no stone! Absolutely amazing what some herbal medicines can do for you. I do not know the pharmacology of Yumel, but I do know it is made from a seed that is common to the Yucatan, and perhaps even other locales.




If you are ever unlucky enough to have a kidney stone, rush out and get a bottle of Yumel. Of course, it is always best to check with your primary care physician first. To me, this medication is truly a Mystical Mayan Medical Miracle.


If you want to learn a bit more about kidney stones, the following is an excerpt from WebMD which is a great sight to check out for all that ails you!


From: http://www.webmd.com/



Kidney stones are created when certain substances in urine -- including calcium, oxalate, and sometimes uric acid -- crystallize. These minerals and salts form crystals, which can then join together and form a kidney stone.



Kidney stones usually form within the kidney, where urine collects before flowing into the ureter, the tube that leads to the bladder. Small kidney stones are able to pass out of the body in the urine -- and may go completely unnoticed by you. But larger stones irritate and stretch the ureter as they move toward the bladder, blocking the flow of urine and causing excruciating pain. Rarely, a stone can be too large to pass into the ureter and remains lodged in the kidney, but may still require treatment.



Why some people form kidney stones and others don't is not always clear. Kidney stone disease is more common in young and middle-aged adults than in the elderly, and more prevalent in men than women. People living in hot climates are sometimes prone to kidney stones because they may be slightly dehydrated, which concentrates the minerals in their urine and makes crystal formation easier. Medical evidence suggests that drinking too few fluids can exacerbate this chemical oversaturation of the urine.



Most urinary stones are composed of calcium oxalate crystals -- a kind of salt in the urine that's hard to dissolve. Uric acid, the chemical associated with gout, may also be involved. If your urine is chronically infected with certain organisms, you can be prone to getting kidney stones of a specific composition as well.



Certain people are frequent "stone formers." A person who has one stone has a 50% chance of developing another stone over 10 years, with about a 15% risk in the first year or so.

4 comments:

  1. Hi-
    This is very interesting. I looked in PubMed, the database of world medical publications, to see what I could learn about Yumel. It seems to be derived from the bark of Guatteria gaumeri, and the active ingredient is generally given as alpha-asarone. The publications I found described its ability to lower serum cholesterol and to decrease the weight of gallstones (which are partly composed of cholesterol). I didn't see evidence that it could affect kidney stones which, as you point out, are composed of salts and to my knowledge do not contain cholesterol. Exposure of cultured liver cells led to toxic effects. None of these studies were done in humans. I hope you will let us know if the good effects of Yumel continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a true believer in homopathy and have recently relocated to Merida. Where is this pharmacy of which you speak?? Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaned my liver and kidneys off stones and lower my cholesterol. My doctor wanted to operate for gall bladder stones. All cleaned for 100th les cost and pain. All because of Yumel drops, bought at homeopathic pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaned my liver and kidneys off stones and lower my cholesterol. My doctor wanted to operate for gall bladder stones. All cleaned for 100th les cost and pain. All because of Yumel drops, bought at homeopathic pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete