Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DIVERSION EXCURSION: GUATEMALA (PART I)






You’ll immediately notice the conspicuous absence of photographs in this post. There is a very good reason for it, and I’ll explain why later on.

I wanted to spend my 65th birthday someplace different and decided to give myself a present by going to Guatemala. Luis traveled with me as I no longer enjoy traveling alone and I am so grateful he was there. I studied the internet for days and mapped out where I wanted to go and what route I would follow, and which hotels and restaurants I thought would serve my purpose. Guatemala is a relatively small country, but I figured 16 days would allow me more than sufficient time to see and do it all.

I booked the flight and paid for it, including a small mom and pop posada (hotel) in Guatemala City for $55.00 US per night (http://www.posadabelen.com/). The place was satisfactory and the staff was wonderful. They have only 10 rooms, and only two, one being mine, were being used while I was there, and then the other, only for a day or so. We basically had the place to ourselves, which I thought was a bit strange. We flew from Merida to Mexico City, and then on to Guatemala City via Interjet Airlines. I can highly recommend this airline. It far surpasses Continental in every aspect and I will use them every chance I get.

Arriving in Guatemala City was no problem. The airport was clean and modern, and almost empty! Immigration and Customs went very smoothly, and the luggage didn’t get lost! (Thank you Interjet!) We were greeted at the airport by a taxi driver hired by the hotel to take us directly to our room. I had prearranged this when I booked the hotel for what I thought was going to be only two nights in Guatemala City.


The ride from the airport through the city was uneventful, save for a few traffic jams and lots of weaving in and out. I couldn’t help but to notice that the city actually appeared a bit dingy to me, especially when compared to Merida. One part of town we passed through had some interesting architecture, but not interesting enough for me to even inquire about it with the taxi driver. I saw most of the NOB chain restaurants along the way including McDonald’s, Burger King, Domino’s, Pizza Hut and the like. I have to tell you though, I was absolutely shocked to see a Taco Bell! Absolutely not one of my favorite places. In fact, I do not patronize any of those places, ever. Not even when I’m in the States.

The hotel was located on an unassuming side street, away from the maddening crowd. There was a heavy duty door with metal bars (just like a jail) as the front door, and then a heavy duty wooden door with a few heavy duty dead bolt locks. You had to press a bell and then the staff would come and let you in. I later learned that there was also a security camera, 24 hours a day, so the staff could see who was ringing the bell!

The room was somewhat small, but comfortable. The building was erected in 1873, and had some obvious updates, but definitely needed more. The bathroom was very small, and had one of the smallest sinks I have ever seen, but it served the purpose. The shower had a sky light of sorts and the wood trim and ceiling was being eaten away by termites as evidenced by their droppings and dust accumulating in the shower floor every morning. The courtyard had room for two tiny metal tables, each with two small metal chairs, but it was sufficient. The heavy wooden furniture in the lobby area had seen better days, and was very uncomfortable even with cushions that desperately needed some attention. The mattress on my bed was old and lumpy and failed to provide a good nights’ sleep, but again – it was OK. I had to question the value of the place though for $55.00 US per night. Breakfast was included and it consisted of coffee, juice, eggs, a tablespoon of beans, and toast. Again, acceptable but not the best.

The hotel was also sanctioned by the Guatemalan Government as a museum and had several Mayan pottery pieces on display both sitting out in plain view and in glass enclosed china cabinets. It made for an interesting “look”. The thing that really made it all OK was the excellent staff. They worked hard to keep the place clean and provided us with lots of good information regarding where to go and where not to go, what to do and what not to do. It was as if they were giving us warnings. They called taxi cabs for us and used drivers that were familiar to them and the hotel. It helped make us feel a bit safer in what I soon learned to be was one of the most dangerous cities in the world. I should have known something was up when I saw a notice posted on the bulletin board saying not to wear any of your jewelry if you go out! Good grief I thought! This sure isn’t Merida, and it wasn’t.

(More to come in part II)



1 comment:

  1. I try to bypass the City when in Guatemala, I get picked up by a driver at the airport for about $30 USD and go straight to Antigua. I rent a car or take excursions from there. Antigua is much smaller, safer and has all the services a tourist needs. I have taken tours into the city but I use Antigua as my base in Guatemala. I put 3000 kilometers on my rental car last time down and still did not see half the country.

    ReplyDelete