Sunday, March 7, 2010

IMMIGRATION REQUIREMENTS TO LIVE IN MEXICO







I’m slightly hesitant to post this, as the requirements seem to change quite frequently. I’m not so sure that the actual laws change that often, but the interpretation of the laws certainly seem to!

I first got my FM-3 (document for “Rentista” status) in 1995. I won’t even begin to tell you all the paperwork I needed to pass Immigration’s standards, but let it suffice to say that it was a myriad of paperwork with numerous copies thereof and lots of hoops to jump through.

Here it is 15 years later, and I am on my fifth and final year of renewing my FM-2 (document for Residente status). Previous years were actually relatively simple and without complications. This year, it took me almost one full month. The usual “norm”, if there is such a thing, is around two weeks. Next year, I have an option of permanent resident or citizenship and am weighing the benefits and drawbacks of each.

This year, I asked the receptionist if they had a checklist for someone wanting to establish “Rentista” status for the first time. Much to my surprise, she said yes, and actually gave me a printed list of the requirements to obtain, or renew, an FM-3. I am relaying those requirements to you with a caveat that they are subject to change and subject to various interpretations.


1. You must present a letter, preferably typed, but definitely written in Spanish, requesting resident status, FM-3.

2. Original and one copy of your passport to include all pages, front and back.

3. Original and one copy of your current entry visa, not expired!

4. The past three months worth of bank statements to prove solvency. The current figure being used is $1,000 US per person, per month. This is the minimum income you must prove you have coming in.

5. You must pay, at a bank, 491 pesos for review of your application. Immigration will provide the form.

6. You must pay, at a bank, 1,294 pesos, when your FM-3 is ready. Immigration will provide the form.

7. You will also need photographs, passport size, as directed by immigration, but this is NOT shown on their checklist! Trust me though, you will need them!

Immigration also advises that all photo copies you present must be legible.

From personal experience, I would recommend a certified copy of your birth certificate.

As recent as a few weeks ago, a gentleman and his wife told me they were required to bring a letter from their doctor in the US stating they were free of venereal and any other communicable disease. I had to do this 15 years ago, also. In addition, they were requested to bring a letter from their State Officials proving that they had no outstanding felony warrants and did not have a police record. Once again, I had to do the same 15 years ago also!

Some people opt to have an attorney handle the paperwork for them. The fee for doing so varies, but expect to pay up to 5,000 pesos . Some attorneys charge less, while others charge more! This can be done on your own, as I have done for 15 years now.

Patience is all you really need.

1 comment:

  1. Take the citizenship route! Well, you will have to apply for inmigrado when your FM-2 term is up, and then you'll apply for naturalization, which will take about 1.5 years.

    ReplyDelete